Alpengasthof Kopphütte – a house with a long tradition
5000 years of mining history
Even in the Bronze Age the Mitterberg at the foot of the Hochkönig was one of the most important areas for mining copper ore in the whole of Europe. Here too, on the the Widdersberg (or Wiedersberg) relics of prehistoric mining have been preserved.
When in the 19th century copper mining was rediscovered and became important, lots of people made their livelihood from mining. In connection with the mining industry our house became a miners’s guesthouse, the name of which originated from copper and from the accommodation. The word “Kopp“ on the one hand comes from copper metal, on the other from “Kopper“, which was used to describe a woodcarver’s hut.
Construction of the miners' inn
Back in 1830 Johann Singer owned a piece of land with two wooden buildings in the area of today’s Kopphütte. In 1927 his son, Josef (Koppbauer) built the Alpengasthaus Kopphütte and rented it from 1928 to 1942 to Sepp and Loni Plenk (his daughter).
In December 1942 the building was completed destroyed by fire. Six years later Bernhard’s grandparents - Anna and August Singer – began with the reconstruction and running of the business.
Renovations & extensions
Herbert and Hannelore Singer have run the house since 1974 and have renovated and extended it to its current standard.
Since 2014 our family business has been run by Bernhard Singer, the fourth generation of Singers.